Llanfairpwllgwyngyll: Accommodation, Attractions, Activities, Going Out, Shopping, Things to Do, Places of Interest, Outdoors, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll Holidays, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll Area Location, North Wales.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch - Llanfair, Llanfairpwll and even Llanfair PG are all names used locally for this village with the longest place name in Britain, the translation of which is: St Mary's Church by the white hazel pool, near the fierce whirlpool with the church of St Tysilio by the red cave.
The village was the birthplace of the British Women's Institute in 1915.
The James Pringle Weavers Centre features a huge range of woollens, crafts and specialist Anglesey foods, plus a restaurant and a Tourist Information Centre.
Transport buffs will want to see both the original octagonal Holyhead road tollhouse, with its 1895 tariff rates, at the entrance to the village, and the restored railway station, featuring the village name in full. Giant platform tickets can be bought as souvenirs in all shops in the village.
Just outside the village is the Marquess of Anglesey's Column. The column commemorates the first Marquess of Anglesey, who lost his leg whilst fighting alongside the Duke of Wellington at Waterloo. The Marquess's home, Plas Newydd, lies two miles south and is now an exceptional National Trust property with 18th century mansion and gardens, offering tours plus a wide programme of music, cultural events and family fun days. It also houses an exhibition of Rex Whistler's work, including his largest mural, together with a collection of military uniforms and arms from the Napoleonic Wars and other conflicts.
A popular car boot sale is held at Plas Coch, along the A4080 towards Newborough, every Sunday (tel: 01248 714346).
Plas Newydd Historic House
The home of the Marquess of Anglesey, situated on the banks of the Menai Straits.
Address: Llanfairpwll, Anglesey LL61 6DQ
Tel: 01248 714795 Fax: 01248 713673
Open: 1st April - 1st November, daily except Thurs and Fri 12.00-17.00. Garden as house: 11.00 - 17.30.
Last entry 30 minutes before closing. Shop and tearoom open daily 11.00-17.00
Admission charges: Except for National Trust members.
Visitors are able to enjoy the: 18thC house built by James Wyatt,Rex Whistler Exhibition, Military museum, Gardens and Historical Cruises.
Marquess of Anglesey's Column
The column commemorates the first Marquess of Anglesey, who lost his leg whilst fighting alongside the Duke of Wellington at Waterloo. 115 steps take you up to 88.5 feet / 27m for views over Anglesey and Snowdonia. There is also a tea room and shop.
Address: Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey LL61 5NJ
Tel: 01248 714393